Ethan's studio contains a recording setup with everything ready to go. In 300 sq ft and 2 rooms, Ethan gets sounds that rival the big studios with their massive mixing consoles. The current spot is Ethan's 4th in NYC over 20 years.
Ethan's specialty is working with singer-songwriters. A client like this will come in with a guitar/vocal or keyboard/vocal tune and I will help them craft parts around that. Sometimes I bring in some of the best musicians in NYC to play on a track, but I am able to accomplish a great deal on my own. Often times, the goal is to turn a solo performance into a band performance, or even go beyond that to something different or bigger sounding than a band.
I also work with a lot of rappers. In the past this has included Treach from Naughty by Nature, Sticky Fingaz from Onyx, T.O.N.E-Z who has the theme song for "Justified" on TV, Nightlife (now Gro$$) who won the MTV MC Battle for NYC, and Ni-sun Akrus.
Many times, I am instead called upon to take a less active role as producer, and only engineer, mix, edit, play studio guitar, or beef up the sound through mastering.
And at times, I do full productions on my own. I have composed songs and advertising music for music houses tomandandy and Man Made Music, as well as for independent films. Two short films with Director Joe Zito went to many of the best domestic film festivals. See Ethan's film credits here.
Gear which can really elevate a normal digital recording:
- Vintage Neve 33115 Mic Pre/EQ
- Vintage Urei 1176 Rev F Compressor
- Avalon 737 Mic Pre/Compressor/EQ
- EARS ANM-1 Stereo Mic Pre/EQ (built from Amek Mozart channels)
- Lexicon PCM 81 Reverb/Multi-FX
- Avid Pro Tools HD Native
- Avid HD I/O 8x8x8 Interface
- Apple Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 GHz
- Custom Tube Vocal Microphone and other high quality mics
- An extensive and growing array of effects plugins and virtual instruments
God-like Guitar Amps:
- Vintage 1972 Marshall JMP50 Model 1987 Head
- '80s Marshall 50-Watt JCM800 Head modified by John Suhr and Frank Levi
- Ceriatone Matchless DC30 Clone assembled and tweaked by Frank Levi
- Vintage 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb (not a reissue)
- Marshall Lead 12 Mini-Stack with Two 1x10 Cabinets
- Vintage 1969 Marshall Basketweave 4x12 Cabinet with Pre-Rola Greenbacks
- Two Early Bogner Cube 1x12 Cabinets with Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers
- Marshall JCM900 4x12 Angled Cabinet with Celestion Classic Lead 80 Speakers
In addition, there are bass, mandolin, and various guitars on-site.
You can listen to some of my productions on the home page!