Teaching has been an important part of Ethan's career. A central element of Ethan's approach has always been using familiar (and enjoyable) songs to illustrate broader concepts.
Private lessons are taught in a dedicated airy 3rd floor two-room studio in Ditmas Park.
The studio is fully equipped and there is a guitar for students to use during lessons. Ethan also teaches beginning electric bass and mandolin, and how to use Pro Tools recording software.
- Electric and/or acoustic guitar are fine
- Beginners are welcome and encouraged
- Open to all styles except strict classical. Hear Ethan's playing here.
- Ages 5 and up
- Most lessons are 45 minutes
Gift Certificates are available for anyone wanting to buy one or more lessons for someone else.
In the past Ethan was one of the youngest faculty hired by the (now-defunct) National Guitar Workshop, where he was trained in guitar pedagogy for 3 years. He was also faculty at Camp Jam.
In addition, Ethan has taught in over 20 continuing education and enrichment programs, including after school and night school, in the Tri-State area.
Ethan has appeared in Guitar Player magazine and written 4 books:
- Alfred's Teach Yourself Guitar Tone and Effects. Alfred Publishing, 2013. (1 of 3 authors) (book and CD)
- The Learning Set(TM) Guitar Method Book 1: Beginning Guitar. Rainbow String Co./DR Strings, 2003. (a beginner method for use with individually colored strings)
- Blues Guitar Monsters. Hal Leonard Corporation, 2000. (transcriptions)
- Tricks and Special Effects. Alfred Publishing, 1999. (book and CD)
Ethan received a B.A. from Brown University in 1993.